Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Destashing Fun

The guild I belong to, Circle in the Square Quilters, holds a fabric swap in a member's home for our February social meeting each year. It's a great opportunity for destashing and adding some new-to-me fabric to my stash. Or as another member calls her stash, "curated fabric collection." Sounds so much less like hoarding, doesn't it!


Everything gets laid out on Carolyn's big dining table, with extra stuff like batting, notions, and scrap bags elsewhere in her dining room. Then we have our social meeting with dessert and show & tell, then we all go back into the dining room and grab select what we want from the table. Anything left goes to Charity Sharity. Carolyn's only rule - she hosts every year - is that nothing be left behind at her house.

I haven't been able to spend much time in the sewing room this month, but I was able to go through my fabric bins and pull out some pieces I know I'll never use. I destashed about 12 yards. I also got rid of a UFO and the guilt that went with it. These, from about 1998-99, have now found a new home:

I brought home only two new-to-me pieces of fabric, which I can use for donation quilts. I haven't measured the yardage, but there's less here than what I got rid of. Yay for the stash report!

The CSQ fabric swap is always a lot of fun and this year was no exception. And Carolyn's pea-pickin' cake was delicious! (No, she doesn't know how it got that name).

 Linking up with Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts

3 comments:

  1. Nothing gets left at her house - that sounds like an important and fair ground rule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun, to be able to pass on fabric you won't use and bring home fabric you will. Wish I had been there. It looks like some beautiful fabrics were exchanged.
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete