Monday, December 7, 2015

BOM Blocks - A Learning Challenge

On my design wall today: BOM blocks from my LQS's First Saturday series that started in August. The star blocks are the main (required) block and the others are the alternate (optional) block. I like the color palette, but then I've kind of been in a neutral phase lately.
The Quilted Fox First Saturday Blocks

I picked up the latest kits this past Saturday. I made a cutting error in the alternate block last month so I had to get some more of the white background fabric. Now I have the main block and two alternate blocks to make.

This main block is very challenging. The cutting instructions are confusing, there are a lot of bias edges, a lot of points to match, and some bulky seam intersections. This block is certainly a skill builder for me!
First Saturday Main Block

It gets a little easier each month. I want to get this month's blocks done this week, then I won't have to worry about them over Christmas.

Not only is the main block challenging, but I now have the added challenge of learning how to use my new sewing machine. Santa came early and brought me a Bernina 770QE. My husband has been after me for a couple years now to get the "rest of my life dream machine" before he retires, while he's still bringing in a paycheck. I test drove several makes and models and the 770QE is the one I liked best, but I was in no hurry. My old Bernina 1090 works great, it just has a small throat and no stitch regulator so it's not easy to quilt with.

Well, Santa took matters into his own hands, found a promotion on the Bernina website, and talked to the folks at the shop where I had test driven the 770. Bottom line, I picked it up last Wednesday, and spent a couple hours with the "coach" at the shop who showed me how to use many of the features.
It's all computerized and a bit very intimidating. (No, I did not get the embroidery option.)

So this week I'll play with my new machine some more and get more comfortable with it, and get these BOM blocks made. Wish me luck!

Linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times - check out what's on everyone else's design walls over there.

5 comments:

  1. I love those star blocks. The colour palette is very restful, it will be a beautiful quilt.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your new 770. I have had a 780 for almost 2 years now, and I still look forward to sewing with it and learning things it can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I new machine...very exciting! Hope you have fun learning all of its bells and whistles. Your blocks look great too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, congratulations on the 770! I think the 700 series machines are so much more robust than the 800 series (which I have). It can definitely feel intimidating as you get used to it, but I think you will love it very soon. Good luck with those blocks, the do sound a bit fussy / tricky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So excited for you! Congrats on your new machine.

    ReplyDelete