Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Not in progress...

...can mean "lack of progress," or can mean "done," and I have both to share today.

Lack of progress:
Bad tension
 
This pile of block parts was chain pieced. Half a quilt's worth of blocks. When I started cutting them apart, I realized there was a tension problem. So, lack of progress, time out to unstitch and pull out the threads, and fiddle with the tension on my machine. Yeesh!

I'm using my travel machine (my Bernina is at the spa) and it really likes Connecting Threads 100% cotton 50 weight thread. It doesn't like finer Aurifil 50 wt. thread so much, as you can see, without a major tightening of the upper tension. So, several sample seams later and about an hour wasted with no progress to show for it, I finally got to the point where I could begin chain sewing these seams again with good tension.


Done:

My book Cut and Shuffle Quilts is finally published!

Cut and Shuffle Quilts is now available from AQS or from Amazon. I haven't seen it in print yet - I'll get my copies next week - but I'm excited it's finally published!

Start with a simple square called the Block Mama. Cut it into pieces, shuffle the parts, and reassemble them nine-patch style. Create easy, unique blocks with endless creative possibilities! Cut and Shuffle Quilts features the Block Mama, four blocks, and six quilts made from them. Complete instructions are given for the blocks and the quilts. For added creative inspiration, all the quilts are illustrated in additional fabrics and colorways. Cut and shuffle your way to creatively satisfying quilts using the easy Block Mama method.
So even though these projects aren't technically "in progress," I'm linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced and Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts.

7 comments:

  1. Yikes, that's one tension mess! After similar happenings, I've learned to check after a couple of blocks to make sure things haven't gotten out of whack in transportation. Have fun ripping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is so uncool. How can the stitching look so nice on the one side and a mess on the other... Hope you have a good ripping technique. I really like the fabric you are using.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing worse than finding out there are tension issues once you have completed a lod of sewing.It's happened me all too often as well. Congrats on the book, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the book! It sounds fun. I like the name "Block Mama." It's very fitting for the concept. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a bummer about the tension, I hate when I think I've made a lot of progress to find something like that. Usually it is the easiest seam ripping, though... it's still only a small silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about your tension issues, that is not a great thing to deal with, good luck with the unpicking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely in progress, but with little forward moment. Hopefully you've got all the piecing and cutting done now.

    ReplyDelete