Sunday, December 8, 2013

Stash Report 12/8/13: New fabrics for workshop project

OK,  I bought fabric this week.

But it was bought for a specific purpose: I'm giving a lecture in Feb. and a workshop in March on using (modernish) Large Scale Prints.
Here are the fabrics I'm using. The ivory and the dot at the lower right are from my stash; everything else is new. For scale, the large flowers in the focus print and the horizontal diamonds are 6" across.
Workshop project fabrics
 
The reason for this lecture & workshop is because this is a more traditional guild who had a visit from a very Modern LQS for one of their programs recently, and the program chair felt that some of the members might have been uncertain about using some of the fabrics they saw. She said they were "intrigued, but intimidated."

I chose these fabrics both for the scale of the prints and the coloring. Not everyone decorates in modern colors like turquoise and aqua, so these colors will probably appeal more to this audience. Although the prints are large and the colors are vivid and crisp, they aren't as bold as some modern prints can be.

I think when I give the program, to promote the workshop I'll include EQ illustrations of the workshop quilt in several other print styles, including a very Modern version, a Kaffe Fasset version, and a traditional version. Meanwhile, I need to get busy sewing this version.

 So, 5-1/4 yards in this week. Nothing I can count out yet.  I'll total up the ins and outs at the end of the month.

Linking up with Judy at Patchwork Times; check out how others are managing their stash over there.

2 comments:

  1. A very traditional quilter up till now, I find myself drawn to these "modernist" looks -- both the fabrics and the quilts. I think it is the openness that gives room to breathe. I would love to hear what you have to say in your lecture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great fabrics, they should appeal to lots of quilters. Have fun preparing for your workshop.

    ReplyDelete