Monday, August 5, 2013

Design Wall Monday 8/5/2013

I didn't think I would have anything to post today. I'm kind of between projects, and the things I need to accomplish this month either can't be shown yet or are too boring to show.  (Who wants to see the latest and greatest in hanging sleeves!!!)

But yesterday my dear SIL & BIL came over for dinner and brought me some antique quilt blocks from their church's garage sale. 


Antique blocks

These are so old they almost look Modern.  They're extremely wonky.  I don't know what - if anything - I'll do with them. 

I'm also contemplating what to do with these blocks:

 
Orphan blocks
 
These were started for a block competition; a fourth one was sliced and diced and reconstituted.  The concept didn't work and I abandoned it.  These are 12" blocks and I don't have any more of the grey print.  I'll leave them up on the wall and see if any ideas come to mind.
 
 
Linking up with Judy over at Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday. 
 

4 comments:

  1. My current use of orphan blocks is placemats and/or table runners/toppers. Your antique blocks could be appliqued onto sturdier fabric and quilted down for stability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful find. I agree with Gari about appliqueing them onto sturdier fabric then use them in another project.
    As for the orphan blocks, they could be used as "filler" blocks in another project or maybe applique a bird scene or bunny, deer or whatever in the center of each.....just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another suggestion for the orphan blocks would be to start an orphan box and when you have enough, put them all together artistically for a backing on a charity or a utility quilt that you might use in the car. They really make an ordinary quilt into a reversible special quilt. Just as Bonnie Hunter if you don't believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Put a solid fabric strip around to bring them to the same size and use it for a Wall hanging. Lucky find.

    ReplyDelete