Still keeping up with my goal of piecing and/or quilting one donation quilt each month. I scored these Aztec-inspired prints at a fat quarter sale in January and put them to good use immediately. The top was pieced in February and now it's quilted with a fleece backing and finished.
This one's suitable for a bigger boy. It's 42" x 54" and not juvenile. It'll go to Little Lambs, one of this year's charities in Hands2Help run by Sarah over at Confessions of a Fabric Addict. They provide comfort backpacks to kids transitioning into foster care, so this fleece-backed quilt can go to one of their older boy clients.
Even if the recipient is too big to cuddle in someone's arms in a rocking chair, I'm still counting this as one of my Rocking Chair Quilts.
I'm actually making two sets, planning to combine the blocks later. I'm a little concerned that there's not enough value contrast between the yellow and the elephant print. Oh, well, it'll probably all work out fine.
The elephant print and the pencil print were bits leftover from other projects. The yellow prints were fat quarters, so I think there's enough left of each for one more block. I'll wait until the mystery reveal to make more blocks to go with these.
It'll be interesting to see how these directional prints work in Libby's blocks. I took a chance and cut and pieced them so the prints could - maybe - end up going all the same direction in each block. Or not. We'll just have to wait and see what her blocks look like at the end.
In other quilty news, I have two thirds of the Pickle Dish blocks done, 24 of them. Here's how they look on my design wall today. Only 12 more to go.
STLMQG's charitable project this year is small quilts for Nurses for Newborns. The nurses take the quilts to the first visit with a new mom and leave it for the family. They've requested a size of two feet by three feet.
My first one's finished, quilted and bound. I chose high-contrast black & white with bright colors. The quilting is simple wavy lines done with a walking foot. I used black thread but maybe grey would have been a better choice. Oh well, it's done, I'm not changing it now. Here it is all washed and crinkly.
March N4Nb quilt
The backing is the bright print, dark enough and busy enough to not show dirt. The binding is scrappy black & white prints.
Since these are so small, they're quick to make. I can play with fabrics, and make something productive, and move on to the next fabric pull.
I forgot to take photos of the fabric pull or the blocks in process for this one. It's already a flimsy! I still have a lot of these fabrics in my stash - it seems like they'll never be used up. But I still love this color combination. Maybe a little sophisticated for a baby, but who cares, it's pretty.
Grandson C.J. Just turned three, and he has a new big boy twin bed at dad's house. When he was here for a visit recently we looked at pictures on the screen together, and he picked out fabric for a new big bed quilt. He picked out the Construction Zone print, and I ordered it and the blue rivets print to go with it. The yellow and grey are from my stash.
Friends gave me a couple more similar prints at the fabric swap. I'm not sure how I'll use them yet. I'm planning to use my Big Print Beauty pattern which was designed to feature large scale prints, but I need for C.J.'s dad to verify the dimensions of the bed first. I think I'll need to make the quilt narrower because the bed doesn't have a box spring, it has storage drawers, so we don't want the sides of the quilt to hang down too long.
I'd like to find two more companion prints in lighter blues to go with these, so I'll have five prints as shown in the pattern. Or the pattern can be made with just one big print, and I ordered enough of the Construction Zone fabric to do so.
Unfortunately I won't be able to go to my First Saturday get-together with friends, but I do have my blocks done. I'll miss seeing their progress on their projects and hearing about what they've been up to.
I put the blocks up on the wall, and I like how they're coming along so far. Actually I made two checkerboard blocks this month as well as a Dresden. I need four more of each block. I will snowball the corners of the Dresden blocks and make the centers for them later.
I am having some problems with my computer, so it's going in for a clean-up and I won't have it for a few days. If I seem to be MIA, that's why.